1st Castle Training

Need a D1 Drivers Licence?

So, you have been asked by your local youth football team for a favour – to drive the minibus to take the team to their latest fixture – but you’ve never driven a minibus before and don’t know if you can. Don’t worry – we can help with a specialist minibus training course designed for this very purpose.

You most likely have the required licence category (D1) already to drive a minibus under 16 seats and for non-profit only, but driving a minibus full of children is a very different experience to driving your own car so specialist training could give you that confidence boost you need.

And if you want to drive anything bigger, or to charge for the minibus service, then you will need specialist instruction and to pass some extra tests (PCV) and we can help you with that as well.

If you want to know more about the legal requirements for different types of licences take a look at our licence section or call us to talk to one of our experts who can tell you exactly what you need to do for your particular driving requirements.

1st Castle Training

Who is the training for?

Anyone who drives a minibus with less than 16 seats, and on a voluntary basis, perhaps for a scout group or a church group, or to help out on a school trip, needs a D1 category on their licence. If you have it already, the training course will still prepare you for how different driving a minibus is, and the particular hazards and issues to be aware of.

Also, if you don’t have D1 or you are over 70, then you will be required to take part in the minibus driver training legally and we have the exact course you require and can guide you through the whole process.

If you are looking to charge the passengers, or drive a minibus with more than 16 seats, you will need some extra instruction and tests to do so, including gaining a Passenger Carrying Vehicle or PCV licence, but we offer training packages for whatever type of minibus driving you are looking to take part in.

What is involved?

The D1 minibus driving test for anyone wanting to drive a smaller minibus on a voluntary basis, is a five day training course and successful completion of it will lead to the D1 category being added to your licence. Or if you have it already, it will give you the skills and confidence you need to drive a minibus safely for the community.

If you need the PCV licence this is another five-day instructional course with a test and once you have passed this, and met any other requirements – see our licence page for details – you will be able to drive a larger minibus commercially.

Bear in mind that if you want to drive a minibus professionally you will also need to pass the Driver Certificate of Professional Competence but we can provide a training package for you which covers both the PCV and the CPC requirements.

You can find out more about the exact CPC requirements here, or call one of our advisers who can tell you what you need to do.

What will you get from doing this training?

Once you have completed this training, you will be able to drive a minibus either in a voluntary capacity or a commercial capacity, depending on which option you choose.

How much will it cost?

A five day minibus course to achieve the D1 category, starts at around £1,000. A five-day PCV course for commercial passenger driving also starts at around £1,000.

Remember, we can also create a complete training package for you to include the CPC requirements if you are planning to drive this type of vehicle on a professional basis.

How do I find out more?

We can offer unique courses for both men and women and our supportive, friendly and knowledgeable team are here to help so why not call us for a quick chat to see if this is the right course for you and get booked in?

As well as the instructional course and the test, we can also offer help and support to secure a job as professional driver, if that’s what you are looking for, through our professional recruitment pack which is full of advice and tips and tricks to help you secure your first driving position.

We are a professional driver training school, geared up to offer a full range of HGV and LGV training to suit all your needs so why not give us a call today and get started on the next stage of your unique driving experience.

Our courses can kickstart a new career or just make sure that when you are driving for leisure you are doing so as safely and skillfully as you can. Talk to us today and we will advise you on the next steps you need to take.

Want to discuss your options?

We’re open Mon – Fri 9am – 5pm | Sat 8am – 12pm. Give us a call or drop us a message and we’ll get back to you.

Want to discuss your options?

We’re open Mon – Fri 9am – 5pm | Sat 8am – 12pm. Give us a call or drop us a message and we’ll get back to you.